Re: emacsclient startup messages

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: emacsclient startup messages
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 10:40:48 +0100

>> I have been applying the patch to my Ubuntu 20.04 builds for a couple
>> of days and everything as worked well. Wouldn't it be a good time to
>> put it into emacs-28?

> Not yet.

> Ulrich, any comments on this?  Including its importance for Emacs 28?

I've just tested with current master.

The patch breaks the workflow used with Gentoo's app-emacs/emacs-daemon
package. That is, a persistent Emacs daemon started with its socket in
${TMPDIR}/emacs${UID}/server, and emacsclient started with XDG_*
variables in its environment:

   $ emacsclient -t --alternate-editor=
   emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
   emacsclient: To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
   Another Emacs daemon is already running at process id 6084
   Error: server did not start correctly
   Error: Could not start the Emacs daemon
   $

I haven't looked into the details of the code yet, but shouldn't the
client first try to connect to an existing socket at both possible
locations? And only start a new daemon when both attempts have failed?