Re: ELPA: add lin.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: ELPA: add lin.el
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 13:28:04 -0700

Hi Protesilaos,

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

> The user can enable 'lin-mode' in select major modes to have a more
> intense (or just different) style for the highlighted line of
> 'hl-line-mode', without compromising the utility of the 'hl-line' face
> in all other buffers.

This looks useful, thanks.  My question is: why make it into a
third-party package instead of a patch against hl-line.el?  I imagine
that we could introduce a new permanently local defvar that users (or
even mode developers?) could set in individual modes.  If that variable
is non-nil, these faces are used instead of the default ones.  We could
also have a defcustom that disables this completely (I think it should
be on by default, but we can bikeshed that later).

We could also just include the mode of course, if we think that's the
better interface.  I sort of like the variables, as that allows modes to
"register" themselves as interesting for this purpose, and the user to
completely disable the functionality if they don't like it by setting a
defcustom.  (Instead of all users having tons of mode-hooks in their
configuration for each and every little mode where this could make
sense.)

What do you think?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas