Re: user-directory: New library to find user {conf,data,state,...} files

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: user-directory: New library to find user {conf,data,state,...} files
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 02:52:48 +0100

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> The one I propose is:
>
>     (user-directory 'cache)
>     => "/home/skangas/.cache"
>
>     (user-file 'cache "foo")
>     => "/home/skangas/.cache/foo"

Looks nice to me.  I haven't looked at the branch, but there's one
problem that many of the things that try to store data have: They used
to store the data in ~/some-strange-location, but now want to follow XDG
or whatever.

So it would be nice if we could just say

(user-file 'cache "foo" :legacy "~/Groovy/foo")

and it'd return the legacy file name if it exists, but otherwise use the
new one.  Or something like that -- the :legacy should probably also be
allowed to be a list of names for things that have moved around a lot.