Re: Merging release branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging release branch
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 11:28:43 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:35:22 -0400
>

> I've had enough of merging the release branch to master,
> so someone else will have to do it from now on.
>
> I use admin/automerge from cron with a wrapper that:
> 1) first checks the release branch passed make check
> 2) passes "-n 1" if the last merge was more than 1 week ago

What's the procedure with merging commits that change etc/NEWS on the
release branch?  gitmerge.el insists on trying to merge those in
etc/NEWS for the next release, which is not TRT.  One could skip the
commits which change only etc/NEWS and then "merge" manually by
copying branch/etc/NEWS into trunk/etc/NEWS.28, but isn't there a
better way?  And why doesn't gitmerge.el do that automatically?