Re: Support for undo-amalgamate in a version of the atomic-change-group

From: Campbell Barton
Subject: Re: Support for undo-amalgamate in a version of the atomic-change-group macro (with patch)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 16:41:48 +1100

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 3:46 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> > The less verbose name is better, indeed.
> > Could even be `with-single-undo`.
>
> I like it.
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

Updated the patch, for what it's worth - I'm not so keen on the name
`with-single-undo'.

- `with-undo-amagamate' hints this is a wrapper for
undo-amalgamate-change-group.
- The term "amagamate" emphasizes that any undo barriers are merged,
whereas "single" reads as if a single undo step might always be added
(which isn't the case).

... another alternative is `with-undo-collapse` which is used in some
of the packages that include this functionality on MELPA.
Although I'd err on the side of not introducing new terminology to
describe concepts already used elsewhere hence with-`undo-amagamate'.

--
- Campbell