Re: MinGW Sources, was: Windows Binaries Release

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: MinGW Sources, was: Windows Binaries Release
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 14:32:04 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 22:27:22 +0000
>> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> The problem is that because we are making a build from a completely
>> unbuilt branch at this point we do a de novo build of everything,
>> including all the el->elc byte compilation (and some elc->eln for the
>> preloads). It takes time -- about 4-5 hours for a 64 and 32 bit build
>> (IIRC, we have ditched the i686 build now, but still).
>
> Unless the VM where you build this is extremely slow and/or
> resource-depleted, it should take much less than several hours.  I'd
> expect less than 30 minutes, probably even 15 or 20, assuming you use
> "make -j8" or more.

It's slower than that on some of my physical machines. But, yes,
throwing resource at it would make a massive difference to the
performance. And that in turn would simplify the build scripts.

Guess that's true with lots of the Emacs internals which were build when
"eight megabytes" was a resource hog.

Phil