Re: Emoji support in Emacs: My first impressions

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Emoji support in Emacs: My first impressions
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 22:52:37 +0100

> Yes, the command was named when it was the only emoji command, so it got
> a pretty generic name.  But I'm not sure `emoji-browse' is an
> improvement -- all these commands let you browse the emojis...  I'm open
> to other ideas.

How about "emoji-categories" (or "emoji-groups") instead of "emoji-insert"?

> It's on `C-x 8 e e' because that's easier to type, and on `C-x 8 e i'
> because that's mnemonic for "insert".  It's pretty common to put
> commands on several keystrokes if that's convenient, but I can see how
> it'd be confusing in this instance.

Interesting. Is it common to include two identical commands so close to each
other, e.g. in the same key map, or on the same "key path" (so to speak), such
as "C-x 8 e"? I ask because with "which-key", it instantly looked like a bug to
my eyes, for some reason. Then, I wonder if browsing by categories should map
to the most convenient "e e" option. I would expect people to use "recent" and
"list" much more often. (I asked my kids, and they say they would use
"emoji-search" mainly.)

Rudy
--
"Programming reliably --- must be an activity of an undeniably mathematical
nature […] You see, mathematics is about thinking, and doing mathematics is

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com>
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia