Re: master e714b31 3/6: Merge from origin/emacs-28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e714b31 3/6: Merge from origin/emacs-28
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:46:20 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 18:18:14 +0100
>
> Merging NEWS is easy to get wrong, especially with the '+++' '---'
> markers (I got it wrong when fixing the merge, and was about to blame
> Stefan for not documenting his changes 😼).

We don't actually merge NEWS, see gitmerge.el.  the way we do it,
there can be no problems, ever.

The problem in my case was that the code there relied on some feature
of Patch that my version here doesn't have, so it failed.  And, as
many things in gitmerge, this failure was more or less silent, so as
someone who did this for the first time, it was hard for me to
understand that I was looking at a bug and not at something the code
was intended to do.