Re: WebKit plugins?

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: WebKit plugins?
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:21:18 -0700

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 7:44 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Are any of these plugins free software?  As I understand, the Java
> browser plugin is still proprietary, and not part of OpenJDK.

Of the ones that I know of (Flash, Java, Silverlight, and QuickTime)
none of them are free software. The vast majority of websites that
used these technologies have since moved away as plugins have been
disabled by default in browsers starting four or five years ago
(https://webkit.org/blog/6589/next-steps-for-legacy-plug-ins/) and
were never available to begin with on mobile browsers.