Re: shr using `make-xwidget' incorrectly

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: shr using `make-xwidget' incorrectly
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:41:50 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> It's not a bug, but how xwidgets are designed, not unlike asynch
> processes that have a buffer.

I don't see the similarity -- killing the buffer will kill the xwidgets,
while killing the buffer won't kill the process.  On the other hand,
deleting text in a buffer won't make the process become unavailable.

> I find nothing wrong with this design of the xwidget system.
>
> However, randomly killing xwidgets based on whether or not they are
> displayed would be undesirable: xwidgets have a lot of state that cannot
> be reconstituted through recreating them, and creating them takes a long
> time and a lot of memory.

There's nothing random about it.  If the caller has marked the widgets
as being evaporable, then the caller wants those xwidgets to go away if
they're no longer displayed.