Re: Round-tripping key definitions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Round-tripping key definitions
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:23:46 -0500

Lars Ingebrigtsen [2021-11-13 15:50:16] wrote:
>> FWIW, I think the TAB/C-i, RET/C-m, ESC/C-[, DEL/C-? confusion should be
>> fixed by really decoupling the two.
> I thought I remembered somebody saying that that wasn't really feasible
> (at least not on terminals)?  If it is, that'd be fantastic.

And you believed that somebody?

>> Maybe one way to do that is to have a `function-key-map` fallback from
>> `[?\C-i]`
>> to `[TAB]` (so `?\C-i` and `tab` would be "equal partners" both of
>> which default to falling back to the new `TAB` key).

BTW, I haven't thought very hard about the impact in terms of
compatibility with existing code.

> But are those the only ones?  Hm...  I guess?

That's the question: for those four, the solution you propose is an
incomplete solution to their problem, so if there aren't any others I'm
not very favorable to the idea (at least not before we investigate more
direct solutions (like the one I outlined) and conclude that we have to
live with the current problem).

>> Truly inspiring.  A have a question: how would you define "ambiguous"?
> I would define it ambiguously.

Quantum code?

        Stefan