Re: Building a release tarball generates trampoline files in eln-cache

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Building a release tarball generates trampoline files in eln-cache
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:37:39 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 20:33:39 +0000
>>
>> > Thanks.  I think we should do this on master, but on the release
>> > branch compile gv.el AOT, as that will be safer.  WDYT?
>>
>> I think is sensible.
>
> OK.  I ended up adding a few more files, all the dependencies of
> comp.el and comp-cstr.el, just to be on the safe side.  The result is
> satisfactory, I think: both "emacs -Q" and "emacs -Q -nw" come up
> without a problem.

Very nice.

> So I think we are approaching a point where we can finally make the
> first pretest, thanks for your help on the way.  I just want to see
> what's going on in bug#51689, which sounds like some similar problem,
> perhaps, and do some more local testing.
>
> And another question (I think you already answered that at some point,
> sorry for my faulty memory): Emacs with native-compilation is not
> supposed to try to compile ~/.emacs when it loads it at startup,
> right?  But it does compile packages loaded by ~/.emacs, right?  And
> the same with explicit *.el files loaded from the command-line, as in
> "emacs -Q -l foo.el" -- the foo.el file will not be compiled, only any
> packages it loads.  Correct?

Correct, Emacs triggers automatically native compilation only when byte
compiled code is loaded.

~/.emacs is tipically not byte compiled and so is typically not native
compiled automatically, on the contrary packages tipically are.

Similarly explicit load of plain .el files will not cause native
compilation.

Best Regards

  Andrea