Re: The new keymap functions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The new keymap functions
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 16:08:26 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 08:28:10 +0100
> Cc: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > After pushing the changes, you'll all have to say "make bootstrap" (or
> > remove all the .elc files first) because of the changes to the syntax
> > in `defvar-keymap'.
>
> I've now pushed the changes, but it doesn't look like you have to say
> "make bootstrap" after all.

The changes to the ELisp manual completely removed the documentation
of global-set-key and other "legacy" functions, AFAICT.  I don't think
we can do that: the code which uses those will remain with us for the
years to come, and Lisp programmers should be able to read and
understand what these functions do.  It is okay to say "don't use
those in new code" (as you already did say), but we should put back
the documentation of those few functions.  There aren't too many of
them, and their documentation is quite short, so it isn't a big deal
to have them in the manual.