Re: Redisplay resets vscroll when window start changes

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Redisplay resets vscroll when window start changes
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 12:31:32 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> My suggestion is to implement equivalents of C-n/C-p that do what you
> want, instead of asking for previous/next-line to be able to preserve
> the vscroll, because those commands aren't supposed to support the use
> case you want to support.

Yes, I understand that.  But the problem is any command that can call
`line-move' will end up resetting the vscroll, which most people don't
expect.  Since making `line-move' not reset the vscroll is not an
option, a better solution will have to be found, which replacing
previous-line/next-line is not.

I know of an external package named `good-scroll' that tries to solve
this problem.  I'll let you know of my findings.

Thanks in advance.