Re: SVG hack for display engine

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: SVG hack for display engine
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 12:46:47 +0800

Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> writes:

> This should mean minimal changes to the display engine and it
> continues to run as is for terminals. What do you think?

FWIW I am working on a port of Emacs to GTK 4, which doesn't use Cairo
(which has been deprecated by the GTK developers), instead using the
native GSK scene graph kit to draw.  It does something very similar to
what your SVG rendering would be like, keeping a tree of render nodes
around past calls to gtk_widget_draw, and modifying it from the RIF.

Getting it to work mostly correctly was extremely painful, and it still
struggles with leaks (where obscured render nodes are not pruned
correctly by xg_fixup_render_table) and the lack of the scroll
optimization.

(If someone wants details on this, wait a few weeks.  I will probably
have it in a usable state by then.)

Thanks.