Re: master e714b31 3/6: Merge from origin/emacs-28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e714b31 3/6: Merge from origin/emacs-28
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 16:03:54 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 08:56:49 +0100
> Cc: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I don't really see any significant downsides.

I tried to point out the downsides: the change is not really trivial,
and therefore will have fallout, as always happens with such changes.
And we will have to deal with that fallout.  Of course, since we are
always overly optimistic and hope there will be no unintended
consequences, we always tend to underestimate the downsides.

For non-problems such as this one, changes like this are just waste of
time and energy.  VCS is a tool, a means to an end; let's not make
changes in our code and create opportunity for subtle bugs just
because people rarely make VCS-related mistakes.