Re: [External] : New key binding syntax

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: [External] : New key binding syntax
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 15:10:08 +0100

Le jeudi 18 novembre 2021, 06:01:13 CET Yuri Khan a écrit :
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 at 10:54, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> >   > Most software use that convention,
> >
> > Not in my experience.  I have never seen + used to indicate
> > keyboard modifier keys.  Always C-x, never C+x.
>
> Never C+x, because it’s spelled Ctrl+X. And Alt+X. And the letters are
> capitals because Shift is spelled out explicitly.
>
> Keys are not ASCII characters.

They can be related.  You could set up a keymap layout where each key is
capital, and pressing shift makes them lowercase, at the opposite of the
normal working, or even something more weird.

So the fact to capitalize keys makes the key sequence transcription
strictly less powerful

But it can be useful, mostly because capitals, alone, are often considered
easier to read (especially when your sight starts to degrade with age)