Re: master 956f21b: Make xwidget-webkit default to not storing cookies

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 956f21b: Make xwidget-webkit default to not storing cookies
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 12:35:20 +0800

> Once we start using more sophisticated locations for such files
> (e.g. the XDG ones, or even special ones on macOS), it will be tricky
> for users to enter the correct location (in a platform independent way,
> etc.), so better provide a good default and let users just flip a switch
> to enable cookies and have mundane things like file locations work
> automatically.

WebKit (not only the GTK port, but other ports, such as WKWebView on
macOS as well) doesn't expose an API to disable cookies, or provide a
default place to store cookies.  The application is always expected to
determine the location itself.  (It defaults to being disabled, but once
the location is set in a given WebKitWebView, you can't turn it off
again.)

However, we could make custom.el suggest suitable file locations for
this type of option.  I'm not exactly sure how this would work, but it
ought to be possible.

Thanks.