Re: something is eating C-M-x

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: something is eating C-M-x
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:31:21 +0100

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> I've just installed a new VMWare virtual machine on my Windows box to
> run Debian.
>
> Something is eating C-M-x, so Emacs doesn't see it. Very frustrating
> when trying to redefine elisp functions!
>
> I'm using the LXDE window manager, and I've checked
> ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml; that does not define C-A-x.
>
> I've searched in various ways for "hotkeys" and similar terms, but have
> not found what the problem is.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Is there some X debug program that shows how key events are handled?

See xev

But maybe Vmware itself is eating C-M, which IIRC by default is used for
releasing keyboard+mouse input. See menu Edit -> Preferences -> Hotkeys.
You can remap that key combination or use a special shortcut for passing
C-M to the guest OS. Search the 'net for "vmware workstation
control-alt".