Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 17:28:17 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> (insert "|" (propertize "foo" 'display '(min-width (8.0)) 'face 'match) "|")
>>
>> and then this will occupy eight normal character widths:
>
> Thanks.  A couple of comments/questions:
>
> Is it possible to use an integer value instead of a float, and if so,
> what is the semantics of that?

It's the same as in all the width things -- a floating point number is a
normal-character ratio, while an integer is a number of pixels.  (Etc.)

>> 1) Should the stretch have been inserted "before the foo ended", i.e.,
>> with that face extending to the end of the range?
>
> You are saying that the stretch doesn't use the same face as the
> characters "covered" by this property?  If so, why not use the same
> face ID?  If that's not what you are saying, then what are you saying?

I'm asking, I'm not saying.

>> 2) To identify a range, we need an identity
>
> You are saying "a range", here and in the documentation you installed,
> but you never explain what that means in this context.  Can you
> explain what you mean by that, and why do you need to identify that
> range?

"A group of consecutive characters".  And it needs to be identified,
because that's the thing that has a minimum width.

> Then, if it _is_ a string, I don't understand the test for bufpos == 0
> vs bufpos > BEGV in the case of a buffer, and I also don't understand
> the reverse condition of the property equality.  Can you explain what
> is going on here and why?

This doesn't deal with strings at all.  It's display_string (i.e., the
mode line) or a buffer.  Adding support for strings, too, might be nice.