Re: emacs-28 b4f47d2: Use @pxref when necessary

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-28 b4f47d2: Use @pxref when necessary
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 11:03:38 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:47:34 +0100
>
>     Eli> Fixes for the documentation are always safe, but that change was not
>     Eli> fix, as there was no problem that needed to be fixed.
>
> The generated info manuals displayed "(see see" when viewed inside
> Emacs, because thatʼs what "(see @ref" produces, unlike "(@pxref".

This problem should be fixed in info.el, not in the Texinfo sources.
(It should have been mentioned in the log message as well, btw.)
There's nothing wrong with "see @ref" from the Texinfo usage POV.
Moreover, some old enough versions of makeinfo don't produce correct
output from @pxref that is not the first and the only one in
parentheses, or is not in parentheses at all.

I don't object to the change in the sources, either (which is why I
did merge the change to master), but the change wasn't trivial and
could have had unintended consequences where I didn't see any real
problem to fix in the first place.

Thanks.