Re: copyright issues and derivative work (the case of matlab-mode)

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: copyright issues and derivative work (the case of matlab-mode)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:24:39 -0500

On 11/24/21 2:42 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
"RS" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
How, precisely, did Mathworks state that it has renounced its
copyright on those materials?  The FSF will want to see what Mathworks
actually published or signed, and verify that that really does the job.
Very good point. Eric Ludlam who single handed maintained matlab-mode
for almost 2 decades is still working for mathworks told me (if I
remember correctly) that he was approached by some mathwork officials
discussing the matters with him.

So he should know all the details, I put him on the CC just in case.

@Eric could you provide us, or RMS with some details of this copyright
issue, please

Hi,

MathWorks has had developers contribute to other GNU projects in the past (such as my own contributions to Emacs for projects unrelated to MATLAB) so I will just need to get the standard  GNU form for myself and John C. signed to make this official.  I hadn't worried about it yet because it was unclear if we could overcome the other hurdles.

Eric