Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 07:31:21 +0200

On December 1, 2021 6:35:02 AM GMT+02:00, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> >> Perhaps we could eat the cake and also have it: the 'space' spec
> >> already supports a notion of "units".  Currently, we have:
> >>
> >>        UNIT ::= in | mm | cm | width | height
> >>
> >> where "width" and "height" are for the default face's font.  So we
> >> could add a new "unit", say, "face-width" or "font-width" (and
> >> similarly with height), to mean dimensions of the character of the
> >> font used by the underlying face.
> >
> > Yes, that makes sense.
>
> So I think we're in agreement concerning the feature set here.  Do you
> want to implement this, or should I take a crack at it?
>
> Uhm...  did we decide on a name?  I think I suggested calling the text
> property `char-spacing'...

I was under the impression that you asked me to do this.  But don't let this
stop you from doing that yourself, if you want.

AFAIU, we need 2 separate features: (a) a variable to force all characters to
have width that is an integral multiple of some "standard" pixel width; and (b)
a display spec that would enlarge the pixel width of every character with that
display property by some number of pixels.  The display spec can be called
char-width.