Re: GStreamer xwidget

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GStreamer xwidget
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 02:07:47 -0500

I just saw some messages from Saturday that I had overlooked while
falling behind.

  > >   > It depends on GStreamer, gst-plugins-base, and gst-plugins-good and is
  > >   > thus a compile-time option.

  > The plugins that this change takes advantage of will only stream free
  > software, as it doesn't depend on gst-plugins-ugly or gst-plugins-bad.

Can you please show me how Emacs invokes get-plugins-good?
How does that function specify plugins to use?

  > > We also have to think about whether it is good or bad to introduce
  > > this nonmodularity.  What is better about showing videos this way,
  > > rather than just launching vlc in another window?

  > People seem to want that in Emacs.

That's not a very convincing reason.

If there is nothing bad about connecting Emacs to GStreamer, then
there's no reason to oppose it.  But if there is something bad,
it would take a good, strong reason to overcome that counter-reason.

  > Reading web pages that have embedded videos is quite common.

Those videos are very often links to Youtube, which depend on running
nonfree JS code.    If the aim of linking with GStreamer is to make
those embedded Youtube videos work in Emacs, we should not do it!

Unless we can bypass the JS code of Youtube.

We may be able to do that, if we make those embedded video links
automatically talk to invidious proxies rather than to youtube.

Can someone see how to implement that?