Re: try_cursor_movement not called?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: try_cursor_movement not called?
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 12:57:58 +0200

On December 1, 2021 11:54:27 AM GMT+02:00, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I thought that `try_cursor_movement' was the function in charge of
> updating the cursor in straightforward situations where someone pressed
> C-f to move forward, and the cursor did not move outside the window.
>
> But if I insert the following text in a buffer:
>
> ABCDEFG
>
> Then move point to A and press C-f, the cursor moves to "B" but
> try_cursor_movement is not called.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks.

That's redisplay optimizations in action for you: there are optimizations we
prefer before try_cursor_movement.

Assuming your Emacs was built with --enable-checking, invoke "M-x
trace-redisplay" and look up in the code the optimizations it says it used.
(You will want to disable blink-cursor-mode and eldoc, to avoid too many
meaningless trace messages.)