Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 19:26:56 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 18:07:33 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> IMHO, I think we'd at the very least need a hyphenation feature to do
> a somewhat proper job.

I think hyphenation is a separate feature, and a major job at that.
We _can_ have justification without it, since most real-life
situations are nowhere near the extreme cases you show.

> This is unfortunately hard to get right, as
> hyphenation rules differ depending on languages, and there are even
> different preferences within the same language (we have two main
> methods for hyphenation in Swedish, both equally accepted).

Exactly.  So let's not let the perfect block the good, okay?  We are
(still) not pretending to be a WYSIWYG word processor, so we can be
excused for occasionally doing a less than perfect job (which still is
better than not supporting justification at all).