Re: Any use cases of `iso-transl-language-list'?

From: Tor Kringeland
Subject: Re: Any use cases of `iso-transl-language-list'?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:14:17 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Please do not remove this feature.  It is useful for typing German and
> Esperanto text, at the very least.

I concur.  For Esperanto and German this is a complete feature, and you
could write anything in those languages with these maps and it has
seniority.

However, for Spanish, Portuguese and French this feature is very
incomplete, and I'd argue that it'd be better to either remove this
feature for these languages or somehow extend it to offer full support
(which would be difficult without having the same number of key-strokes
as the regular `C-x 8' map).  As it is now, it might be misleading in
that it implies support for the character support of said languages,
while in reality it's only one character for each language that saves
one key-stroke.  Also, for Spanish "¡" and "¿" can be input the same way
without activating this map.

IMO seniority is not sufficient justification for keeping "support" for
these languages around, at least in the current incomplete state.

Could we at least mention input methods in the docstrings here, and
perhaps the issues around greater support?