Re: master 1914d94 2/2: Change how Dired displays available space

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 1914d94 2/2: Change how Dired displays available space
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:41:08 +0100

> Hmm. insert-directory can be used w/o being called from dired. And there
> are further implementations of insert-directory, because it uses file
> name handlers. So these functions must be adapted as well.

My assumption was that (as for the first bit) that not translating the
"total x" thing wouldn't be catastrophic, so that could be adjusted
afterwards.

As for the other implementations, I assumed that they would just
continue to work as is, and if they do that "total" transformation, it
would be trivial to just remove that bit.

If this causes major problems, I'm sorry.

> Granted, most of them are from Tramp, but there could be also other
> implementations in the wild.
>
> Is there a shiny reason to move this functionality from insert-directory
> to dired-insert-directory? A discussion about, or at least a trigger for
> this change (aka announcement in etc/NEWS), would have been appreciated.

I implemented this first as a part of insert-directory.  But the problem
is that it's dired itself that prepends the /current/path/name at the
top, so the thing had to go to dired.