vc-git: interactive rebasing

From: Manuel Uberti
Subject: vc-git: interactive rebasing
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 11:13:38 +0100

Hello everyone,

as my recent bug report[1] and some writings on my blog[2] witness, I've been using and actually really liking the built-in VC. Beside thanking everyone involved with this feature, I'd like to know how one can approach an interactive rebase with it.

Let me try to provide an example. Usually, 'M-! git rebase master' is enough when I work on my projects, but sometimes I need to squash commits before pushing. Is it possible to rely on VC for this? If it is not a problem, could you describe how you would do it?

Note that relying on 'M-!' or 'shell-mode' is good too for me. As long as everything can be done from Emacs, I am not asking to extend VC just for this specific workflow.

BTW, before anyone suggests it: I know this is all doable from Magit, I was using Magit before (and I still have it installed). I am just trying to understand a different approach in order to decide which one suits me best.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52158
[2] https://www.manueluberti.eu/emacs/2021/11/27/vc/

--
Manuel Uberti