Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 10:15:20 -0800

Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:32:08 -0800

That said, I forgot to mention the most obvious case where the default
Emacs configuration already changes the width of elements of the U:---
thing: the newline indicator. For example, DOS newlines are indicated
via U(DOS)---. (Unless you're on a Windows/DOS system, that is.)

I use single-character indicators so that it's easier to cycle through
them without clicking on the wrong thing. The default is probably easier
to understand for new users, but I find it pretty annoying. Switching to
icons here would be a nice improvement if they were all the same width.

It was deliberately designed to annoy and attract attention, because I
was told back then that users might otherwise miss an indication
that's telling them the file has an unusual (a.k.a. "foreign") EOL
format.  If this is no longer an issue nowadays, we could change the
default to be one-character no matter what is the platform.

I think it's still an issue, and making the indicator "louder" for non-native EOL formats is probably still a good move.

Maybe it'd be enough to make the indicator for non-native EOL formats be a different color, or some other face property, like adding a bright box around it. That would still be attention-grabbing, but wouldn't change the size of the U:--- thing.

- Jim