Re: emacs-28 9c222b9: Port to C compilers that lack size-0 arrays

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: emacs-28 9c222b9: Port to C compilers that lack size-0 arrays
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 11:42:08 -0800

On 12/3/21 10:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
What I experienced was a ton of diagnostics with both the Oracle Solaris
and the IBM AIX C compilers, which made it difficult for me to see the
real problems on those platforms (of which there were some).
Any reason why we should be concerned about these two platforms?

Emacs has run on Solaris and AIX for decades, these platforms are stable and are supported by Oracle and IBM respectively, and there's very little trouble keeping Emacs working on these platforms.

And it's not just these two platforms. My bigger motivation for this particular change was that the old code violates a constraint specified by the C standard. Even though the old code works on GCC, Clang and MSVC, there's a reasonable chance it won't work on less-commonly-used compilers and there's little point to taking that risk when the fix is so simple.