Re: sqlite3

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 13:36:08 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> I would definitely like to see sqlite in core and avialable by
>> default. I really love it and think it is a great as
>> application/desktop database. I think it would open for some nice
>> applications people could write.
>
> Regardless of whether or not this feature is implemented, I think it
> should be optional, and fallbacks should be in place for systems where
> SQLite is unavailable.
Yes of course; I agree with you. compile-time option --with-sqlite ...

> For example, I tried compiling the latest SQLite amalgamation release
> with DJGPP, and it did not work.  Apparently patches existed to make it
> work, but they do not apply to the latest release anymore.
>
> Customize gaining a hard dependency on SQLite3 would be a disaster!
>
> Using a relational database for things like
>
>     (setf (persistent-data :namespace "emoji" :key "favorites")
>           emoji--favorites)
>
> Is also overkill, IMO, while something like (g)dbm would be a perfect
> match for this kind of task.

I suggested hashmap serialzied to/from file. I used such approach myself for
key-value pairs. It worked fine for me, it was quite simple to read/write
it. Currently I am testing a thing, and I use just assoc list to read/write it
to a file, and it works fine for me too.

I also think that everyone is uses sqlite for persisting user settings because
they don't have lisp and customize :).

Just because everyone uses sqlite is maybe not the best argument, but
anyway, sqlite is maybe faster when serializing that reading/writing lisp
objects. I don't know, I am not familiar so much with elisp vs sqlite. Also,
there are many uses for relational databse than just persisting user settings. I
am thinking of desktop applications a lá Access/Excel and similar. Sqlite is
great for applications that need data to be portable/movable with application,
or where database system like MySQL/Postgre etc are too much. I don't see it as
just a "setting database" a lá Firefox.