Re: sqlite3

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 15:12:03 +0000

> Having sqlite3 interface as you describe would also benefit custom a
> lot, the emacs .custom file is beginning to look like the Windows
> Registry:-)
I think most, if not all, of the possible improvements for custom are
unrelated to sqlite3.

> A. Organize, backup and restore customization per package -- at present,
>   if you use a package for a while, then delete it, its customizations
>   hang around in the custom file as an example.
We just need better custom.el, no need for sqlite3.

> B. Having custom options that hold large lists e.g. your favorite RSS
>   feeds, gets unweildy
For the UI issue, sqlite3 is again irrelevant — we just need
to think about better way to present/edit large list.

For performance issue, sqlite3 might be one solution. I’m not
sure how much it will help — if we’re printing out the list
as string then throw into sqlite3, it won’t help with performance either.