Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: João Pedro de Amorim Paula
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 21:34:08 -0300

On 05 December 2021 16:54, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it actually give that much of a performance boost? It has been a
> couple of months since I tried native compilation in Emacs 28, but when
> I did, I noticed next to no performance improvement at all. In fact, all
> I did notice was lots of warnings and significant delays whenever I
> updated packages.

Chiming in to say that yes, it does give a huge performance boost! I'll
also take the opportunity to congratulate everyone that worked on it,
specially Andrea. I have some packages installed, but compared to the
average Doom Emacs user I have a pretty bare bones setup, but I don't
know if I'm just picky, but Emacs had a small, ms delay when doing
movement on a buffer, specially if it has some heavy syntax highlighting
(which I actively avoid). But with native compilation I don't notice
that anymore, to the point that Emacs seems to respond and react before
I even register the action itself by pressing some key! As someone with
ADHD this is greatly appreciated; now my Emacs can do stuff at the speed
of my thought, which was almost the case before, only lagging a couple
of milliseconds behind.

> I stopped using it partly because of all the warnings and delays when
> updating packages, but mainly because I seemed to run into a number of
> issues with org mode (most of which I think have now been addressed).
> I've actually never noticed any speed problems with Emacs. Where there
> are delays, it is due to the synchronous nature of what I'm doing rather
> than basic performance. Besides, the slowest component in my environment
> is the old bit of slow carbon using the keyboard :-)

I have the following on my =early-init.el=:

    ;; be silent about warnings
    (setq native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors 'silent)

and the warnings don't bother me anymore. They populate the =*Warnings*=
buffer but that's all.

--
João Pedro de Amorim Paula
IT undergraduate at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN)