Re: Mutating existing persistent data

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Mutating existing persistent data
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 13:55:29 +0800

> That would mean writing a lots of itsy bitsy files (i.e., using the file
> system as the DB) if this is going to have any kind of meaningful
> concurrency.  Otherwise Emacsen will just be overwriting each other's
> data aggressively.

That doesn't matter, as it'll be a fallback after all.  Besides, I also
don't see a problem with overwriting files aggressively, as long as
nothing ends up corrupt.

> So I don't see the use case.  Virtually all systems have sqlite, and if
> the users have chosen to not build Emacs with it, they don't get the
> persistence feature.  That's no different from when they choose to build
> without libxml -- they don't get to read web pages in Emacs.

Reading web pages in Emacs is not a vital feature, but this will be an
important feature any Lisp code that wants to persist data to disk will
use.