Re: Against sqlite3!!!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Against sqlite3!!!
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 14:52:08 -0500

> Since it records a log of deltas instead of printing the whole data structure,
> different key won’t interfere.

> Being said that, currently it probably won’t work because UNIX append
> is not atomic and will probably be interleaved into nonsense.
> There’re various workarounds, lock file being one, but I like
> the idea of keeping only one “controller” instance with exclusive
> access to the file more.

I think allowing several instances to use the file at the same time is
important (I always have 2 sessions active at the same time and I'd like
to be able to use (and share) savehist with both of them).

But that only means having to lock while we're saving, which is a very
short time.  It also requires being able to refresh the in-memory data
once we detect that the ondisk data has been changed.

        Stefan