Re: Possible XInput2 cursor bug ?

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Possible XInput2 cursor bug ?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 08:03:11 +0530

* Po Lu <87ilvzga2h.fsf @yahoo.com> :
Wrote on Wed, 08 Dec 2021 09:27:34 +0800:
> Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:
>> If I select a line on the summary buffer, to display the article buffer,
>> the block cursor disappears and the cursor becomes hollow (as if it were
>> a cursor in an inactive buffer). The focus is still in the summary
>> buffer though.
>
> First the important question: what window manager are you using (is it
> GNOME Shell), and are you using Xwayland?

I was seeing this in a patched version of dwm. Thanks for your
suggestion -the problem indeed seems to be window-manager related.

> Secondly, please put a breakpoint on this part of xterm.c:
>
>           if (f && FRAME_ICONIFIED_P (f))
>             {
>               SET_FRAME_VISIBLE (f, 1);
>               SET_FRAME_ICONIFIED (f, false);
> ->            f->output_data.x->has_been_visible = true;
>               inev.ie.kind = DEICONIFY_EVENT;
>               XSETFRAME (inev.ie.frame_or_window, f);
>             }
>
> And see if that part is called when you select such a line in the
> summary buffer.

(dwm doesn't have a concept of iconification but) this is not getting
hit.  What is happening (I believe) is that the mouse pointer is getting
warped to the top right corner -- the window doesn't have any
decorations -- and emacs probably thinks it has lost focus, but the wm
keeps the focus on the window anyway.