Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Rudolf Schlatte
Subject: Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 20:21:49 +0100

John Ankarström <john@ankarstrom.se> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: John Ankarström <john@ankarstrom.se>
>>> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 02:45:02 +0100
>>>
>>> For what it's worth, I think that it would be a good idea to limit this
>>> feature to mouse-based scrolling.
[...]
> That's why I suggested limiting the whole feature to mouse-based
> scrolling. If you are scrolling with the mouse, it is natural to click
> to set a new position for the point. But if you are scrolling with, say,
> Page Up and Page Down, you would need to move your hand to the mouse to
> set a new position for the point.
>
> This makes the whole feature quite useless for any scrolling that isn't
> mouse-based. When scrolling with the keyboard, it is annoying if the
> only way to move the point to the scrolled-to position is by clicking
> the mouse.

I briefly tested with two contemporary editors (Atom and VS Code), and
their behavior indeed differs between mouse-based and keyboard-based
scrolling: in the former case (scrolling via mouse), the cursor stays
put and moves out of view, while in the latter case (scrolling via the
PgDn key), the cursor changes position to stay on screen.