Re: Against sqlite3!!!

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: Against sqlite3!!!
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 07:50:18 +0000

> If you start dividing your file into pages and loading one page at a time,
> you’re starting to reimplement a kv-database, just as gdbm (or some
> filesystems).  You’d better reuse gdbm,
There is a subtle but IMO significant benefit of resist!, it understands
more than kv-put. In the current version, it also understands
kv-push and kv-delete (aka list operations).

I imagine this can be very useful for Lisp because lots of time people
just add or remove data from a list. Some implementation that doesn’t
understand this would need to dump the whole list again.

> and work on something higher level
> and more fun like a lisp sql-like query language, inspired from (or even
> compatible with) sql or sparql or prolog, except each expression would
> return a lisp value.  That would be very beautiful.
That’s definitely a cool idea. I’ll probably just go for an embedded Prolog
with S-exp syntax.

It’s probably not my current priority though, because
Emacs packages at the moment still use mostly LISt Processing,
and somehow people still find enough incentive to introduce SQLite3,
which I attribute to the lack of a decent pure Lisp persistent store.
So that’s what resist! aims to solve at this moment.
Maybe if after resist! solved the problem people would still want
SQLite3, I’ll write another package revolt! which implements Prolog.

Best,
Qiantan