Re: persistent data feature

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 14:05:01 +0100

> To help me understand this discussion, I think it would help me to have
> examples of such large databases currently implemented as text files,
> along with an idea of what "large" means in this context (how many MBs)
> and where the "slow"ness manifests itself.

Well, it has mostly limited itself because storing a lot of data in
Emacs is slow, so we don't do that.  But when storing data is both
convenient (you don't have to arrange for a file to be saved, etc) and
fast, we'll be storing more information.

But the current large data structures are in things like the Gnus
registry, which can grow arbitrarily large (and slow, unless you trim
it).  And my .ecompleterc is 4MB.