Re: sqlite3

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 05:54:45 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > I think you're mistaken.  sqlite3 databases are pretty transparent.
>
> Would you please email me an sqlite3 database file, as an attachment?

You probably have several of them on your computer -- it's pretty hard
to not, these days.  "find / -name '*.sqlite" will give you a list.

>   > There's trivial tools that dump the contents as a series of "insert"
>   > statements, that are about as easy to read as Emacs Lisp.
>
> I'm sure that is helpful, but there is a big difference between
> conversion to and from text, and actually being textual.

There's certainly a difference, but I'm not sure it's that big.  A dump
of an Emacs Lisp hash table is certainly "textual", but I'm pretty sure
most users won't be able to read/alter it with confidence.

To view the contents of the sqlite file, you can use `M-x
sqlite-mode-open-file' on the current Emacs trunk, or you can say

echo -e '.dump' | sqlite3 file.sqlite