Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:22:37 +0100

Le merkredo, 15-a de decembro 2021, 6-a horo kaj 15:22 CET Richard
Stallman a écrit :
> Lars metioned something called LD_PRELOAD.  I don't know what that is,
> and I can't find it in the documentation I have here.  I don't know
> whether it makes a difference for this issue, and I would like to
> study that question.
>
> Would someone please point me at an explanation of what LD_PRELOAD
> does, with docs for how to use it?  Also, which part of the GNU/Linux
> system implements it?

It’s an environment variable making ld.so preload dynamical libraries
before any other, so that you can overwrite any C function with another,
just by specifying a .so library implementing it in that variable.  You
can use that to tweak the behavior of any program.  Lars was using that as
an argument to state it is futile to stop users from running proprietary
software if they want to since they can do it anyway that way.

I agree the issue is not stopping users, but making them run such software
anyway, whatever their specific will regarding emacs.