Re: sqlite3

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 08:38:44 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> If I write-region to a file, and then rename the file to "foo.value" in
>> one Emacs, then another Emacs may or may not get a file-error like this:
>>
>>     (file-error "Opening input file" "Permission denied"
>> "c:/Users/larsi/AppData/Local/Temp/emacs-test-nJO8TU-multisession/files/sbar/sbar.value")
>
> Is this code on master?  If so, can you show some recipe to reproduce
> this?

It's the multi-test-files-simple code in multisession-tests.el (but you
have to revert ed77d1a8c0 to see it).

>> There's probably something about file locking on Windows that I don't
>> understand.
>
> Who does the file locking in this case, and by what means?

That's what I don't know.

What I think the code does is this:

1) First Emacs 1 writes the file.
2) Then I start another Emacs, and it also writes the file, and then that
Emacs exits.
3) Then Emacs 1 wants to read the file, and it fails with that error.

If Emacs 1 waits a bit, then it's apparently allowed to open that file,
but I'm not quite sure about that.

Which is where I gave up trying to debug this and posted the mail.  😀