Re: Tree-sitter api

From: Philipp
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter api
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:45:18 +0100

> Am 13.12.2021 um 13:56 schrieb Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:
>
>> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 22:54:59 -0800
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>> ubolonton@gmail.com,
>> theo@thornhill.no,
>> cpitclaudel@gmail.com,
>> emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>> stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org,
>> john@yates-sheets.org
>>
>> It’s been a while and no one provided further comments on the indent and
>> font-lock integration of tree-sitter, so I finished the manuals for indent
>> and font-lock integration. They are under 24.6 Font Lock Mode and 24.7
>> Automatic Indentation of code. Once the author of tree-sitter allow
>> tree-sitter to change malloc implementation at runtime, tree-sitter
>> integration will be ready. (Though I suspect that won’t come soon. The
>> author is still actively developing tree-sitter but he didn’t reply to my
>> request.)
>
> Would you please ping the authors and tell them that this single issue
> prevents us from integrating TS into Emacs?  Maybe that would change
> their priorities.  I cannot imagine that the feature we are asking is
> hard to implement.

That feature in itself won't be enough.  Even with it, TreeSitter will have the
same problem as GMP: allocation isn't allowed to fail, and longjmp'ing out of
it isn't allowed and generally causes undefined behavior.  What's needed is a
rewrite of the TreeSitter code so that it handles allocation failure properly
and gracefully by returning an error to the caller.