Re: Merging the pgtk branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging the pgtk branch
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 17:48:20 +0200

> Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 17:12:46 +0200
> From: "Bozhidar Batsov" <bozhidar@batsov.dev>
>
> Fair enough, let me try to clarify my question. I had just assumed that all
> Unix systems (except macOS)
> default to the old GTK front-end (when it comes to Emacs with GUI, that is)
> and I was wondering if the
> expectation was that pgtk would mostly replace it right away (e.g. because of
> it's improved compatibility with
> Wayland) once Emacs 28 is released.

AFAIU, you _have_ to specify --with-x-toolkit=VALUE at configure time;
there's no default.  If you don't specify it, you get an X build with
no toolkit.

As for PGTK: we didn't yet decide whether to promote it as the
recommended toolkit.  AFAIU, there are some issues with it (whose root
cause is how Wayland works), and we are not yet sure whether users
will live in peace with those issues.  We need more feedback and more
user experience for that.