Re: Incorrect font weight selected

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Incorrect font weight selected
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 14:32:32 +0100

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org> writes:

> Not found a satisfactory solution yet. I was trying to understand how
> and what currently works before attempting to go deeper with gdb. It
> looks like that even if I do things "properly", I'm running into subtle
> font selection issues.

There was a long thread touching upon these issues in the bug tracker
somewhere.  Basically, Gtk tells us the font weights in PANGO_WEIGHT_*,
and we map these to symbols according to spec, see xg_weight_to_symbol.
And then we map these to a 0-255 scale in weight_table, and it's these
weights that are really in the fonts.

And PANGO and the fonts don't always agree about these things.

If I remember correctly; it's been several months since I looked at this
last, and I've already managed to suppress most of it.