Re: Bootstrap broken between 2893cb6a21af3384cf5d6dc2b6bbdd5ebba8e1ad an

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bootstrap broken between 2893cb6a21af3384cf5d6dc2b6bbdd5ebba8e1ad and 469fe6a040d6df612c00ea169670c6d8d7e58563
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 11:53:19 -0500

>> Then maybe the easiest solution would be to stop using a special
>> autoloads file for rmail, and just have it use loaddefs.el?
> Yes, I think that sounds like a good idea -- I have no idea why rmail
> has its own loaddefs in the first place.

Usually it's done for autoloads that are only used internally to
a package so as to reduce the number of "useless" autoloads in
loaddefs.el (and along with it, the size of Emacs's pdump heap).

Looking at `rmail-loaddefs.el` I suspect there's a good chance that the
problem can be fixed by adding the `noerror` to `require` so it doesn't
signal an error when `rmail-loaddefs.el` is not found.  This will still
work fine since those autoloads seem to all be for interactive commands
which will only ever be used once an rmail buffer has been displayed to
the user, i.e. long after we're done compiling Emacs.

        Stefan