Re: Development Speed

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:51:57 +0100 (CET)

Quoting: list-was-down?
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Date: -

> Yes, I don't think that's accurate. (But it's certainly the impression
> you get when reading emacs-devel, so it's understandable why you'd think
> so.)

> There's an enormous amount of maintenance work going on in Emacs
> development.

I have indeed read the 10% series, and the monumental effort speaks for
itself. I also see commits from lots of people fixing and tidying things up
everyday, it's great. My sincere thanks as an Emacs user.

I only know of the communication through lists.gnu.org and the TODO file
and I missed any large scale, coordinated plans to structural changes.
I do not mean to say those must exist; but to merely inquire whether there
should be any such, or if they exist or are they documented and can be
accessed without directly requesting comments.

Quoting: list-was-down?
From: Stefan Monnier
Date: -

> Regarding paying technical debt, we could do a lot more of it, indeed,
> but it takes time and effort and is hard to do without introducing
> backward incompatible changes.

> More importantly, we can't force people to do it.

> This said, I think a lot of the work Emacs maintainers do (as opposed
> to developers of 3rd party packages) is indeed just that. It's just
> that some of our debt are "too hard to tackle", so we focus on the
> smaller things instead :-(

This is exactly what I thought I understood about the situation, feels good
to have been able to send at least some thoughts through, from all
my gibberish :)

> If it can lead to cleaner code and/or better errors&warnings, I'm all
> for it, but I don't expect performance improvements to come from
> the compiler.

I see, that makes sense. Thanks.

> I suggest you choose your words more carefully: "excuse" above implies
> you think we lie, which doesn't seem like a good starting point for an
> honest and constructive conversation.

That wasn't my intention at all, apologies for any offense by mistake.
I am aware of my need of tone tuning; second language problems. I welcome
tips like this, please don't refrain.