Re: master f6967d2 1/3: Allow for the completion buffer to be automatica

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: master f6967d2 1/3: Allow for the completion buffer to be automatically selected
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 23:04:23 +0000

Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> But on master the implemented solution was more
> or less an intermediate one where the completion list was not shown
> automatically and the results were not filtered "on the fly".  IMO, that
> kind of intermediate solution doesn't help much to attract people used
> to that kind of workflow from other applications/Emacs packages, and
> only annoy people used to vanilla completion.

The motivation was not to attract people from either side, but to fix an
annoyance I had when a string couldn't be expanded, but was not unique.

With completion-auto-select disabled you either have to edit the
minibuffer yourself, or switch to the *Completions* buffer using the
(imo inconvenient) M-v key.  The idea is that completion-auto-select and
completion-wrap-movement provide is a method to reduce all completion
operations to a single key (tab), without having to change modifiers.

(Looking back, I understand the change was too radical for the master
branch, though I still think that it is a considerable improvement, and
provides a basis upon which incremental narrowing could be implemented,
without falling for a lot of the issues that other popular "frameworks"
have)

> Another experiment that might be more successful is to enable an ELPA
> package like mct[1] by default, and offer a single option to revert to
> the default minibuffer behavior, for people used to vanilla completion.

I don't see how this is any better or worse than enabling
completion-auto-select by default.

--
        Philip Kaludercic