Re: Motif support

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:47:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 12:53:18 +0100
>> Cc: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Ok. We have all seen how much personal guidance you have needed from
>> Eli on even a minor details to get your offsceen lines working.
>
> That was basically the second time Po Lu implemented something in the
> display engine, and the first time he had to deal with layout code, so
> some guidance should be expected, for a complex piece of software that
> takes more than 40K LOC.  From my POV, the guidance he needed was
> relatively minor; most of the discussion was about the various
> implementation strategies.
Of course guidance is needed and expected. I have no problem with that, I just
reac on him saying it is missinformation to say that Emacs is not so easy to
hack. You say it's complex, he says it's easy :).

And as said, amount of time he seems to have to spend on all kind of different
OS:s, Emacs parts and all different discussion seems to be quite
tremendous. Expecting everyone to have that time is unrealistic.

But yes of course the guidance is needed for people new to it, and everyone
needs help; I have got help, and everyone else gets help, so it should be of
course. But nobody needs accusation for spreading missinformation when saying
things are complex and could be simpler.

Anyway, good for him if it's easy for him; kudos. Means he can improve Emacs
more, so everyone happy :).